Sunday, July 13, 2008

Movie Review...Waitress



This movie stars Keri Russell (Mickey Mouse Club, Felicity, and Mission Impossible 3) and Nathan Fillion (Serenity and White Noise: The Light). I thought it was really well done. The story is of a waitress who is a brilliant pie maker and finds out she is pregnant by her husband she has fallen out of love with. She has been stashing money from her possessive, jealous, controlling husband and makes plans to leave him.

Her plans are foiled when he finds the money. Along the way she falls in love with her Gyno and they have a steamy affair. As she, Jenna, admits, the affair is just about sex in the beginning, but he shows interest in her and they become best friends. Although I don't like the whole affair part, I loved watching her go from feeling unattractive with a low sense of worth, to a woman that has confidence in herself and her abilities. That is what this show was about, growth and courage.

You could see the struggle she had while having the affair. She was happy because she had someone who treated her with respect and listened to her, but on the other hand she felt the torment of cheating on her husband. And really, how much could someone love you by having an affair. That is just selfish, uncontrolled passion, and sometimes loneliness.

I loved seeing her grow, come out from under the thumb of a controlling man. I don't believe any woman should be treated without respect. Each of us, men and women, deserves to find someone who will "hold [them] for 20 minutes straight and that's all they do. They don't pull away, they don't look at your face, they don't try to kiss you. All they do is wrap you up in their arms and hold on tight without an ounce of selfishness to it."

Not to make this all the more mushy, but I thought of my relationship with Chris while watching this. I am so grateful and blessed to have a man that loves me for me, that respects me, that is my best friend, and someone who encourages me to follow my dreams and be a strong woman. I love you, baby!

1 comment:

  1. I love this movie. It always makes me cry! It is so cute though. I think a lot of the reason I was so emotional was because the cute director {she was in the movie too} was killed a short time before the movie came out. You should look up the story, so sad! But what a great movie to leave behind to remember her :)

    ReplyDelete